This week, I am sharing the top services you can offer product-based business! This is part three of a four-part series, so make sure to read Part One (all about the services you can offer wedding professionals) and Part Two (services you can offer coaches + educators + speakers).
Product-based businesses feature some very different challenges and roadblocks in their business, versus some other service providers creative virtual assistants often work with. They often will make the products themselves, so there is a side of their business that is buying material and products. They often sell the products to retailers, so there is a side that is all based on wholesale. And they might even sell the products direct to consumers, so there is a side of their business that requires marketing, websites and sales.
Quick reminder: You do NOT have to do everything on these lists. In fact, it’s better to niche down to what you are an expert in vs. offering ALL the things. This is just a comprehensive list to get you started and get your wheels turning. If you have Shopify or Etsy experience, that can be your sole offering! The demand is always there for Shopify and Etsy experts.
Services To Offer Product-Based Businesses
Often times, one of the first hires e-commerce or product-based business will hire is a virtual assistant! That is because they are often a one-person team, or a smaller team. There are so many day to day things they have to focus on, like fulfilling orders, making the products, and working with wholesalers. That is where you can come in to take off some of their workload!
- Newsletter and email creation (hands down one of the biggest offerings. The product business that sell directly to consumer need a good newsletter and sales strategy!)
- Blog write-ups and proofreading
- Copywriting (website copy, product description copy, content writer, etc.)
- Assisting with SEO, including Alt Tags, keywords, and Yoast SEO Plug-In for WordPress
- Graphic Design, including social media images, graphics for ads, website images and graphics, product design, etc.
- Run Facebook and Instagram ads
- Run their social media, including Facebook and Instagram
- Emailing clients (thank you emails, follow up emails, etc.)
- General store upkeep, like adding new items, writing product descriptions
- Editing images before being posted
- Photographing their products (another HUGE need. Oftentimes, they don’t have the time or knowledge to photograph collections, so that is where you can come in if you have photography skills!)
- Customer Service, including answering emails and phone calls from customers
- Making cold calls (usually provided with a script and canned responses to common questions), and scheduling meetings between you and prospects.
- Bookkeeping or inputting data from different sources into a spreadsheet.
- Order products. This can include inventory management, sourcing products, finding the best pricing, and working directly with suppliers.
- Updating their Etsy or Shopify storefront
- Website Updating (this can also go with the Shopify or Etsy storefront if that is their website platform). The biggest needs are updating webpages, products, pricing and images.
Services To Offer Retail Shops + Boutiques
I wanted to also touch base on what you can offer retail boutiques and shops. As a former bridal boutique owner, I personally know how much work it takes to run a retail shop. I would spend hours every single week just working on brides orders! So I know first hand the items that can be handed out to a virtual assistant.
- Social Media (this is hands down one of the biggest needs! Most boutiques will have an Instagram, Facebook page and maybe even a TikTok channel, or need videos and Reels made for IG.)
- Interacting with buyers online, and via social media
- Newsletter template creation (This can include weekly + monthly newsletters promoting sales and special promotions)
- Nurture sequence set up
- Research on other brands, and new trends
- Updating the website to show the newest styles (a HUGE need!)
- Help before markets (Includes creating price sheets, promoting on social media,
email campaigns to promote the event, setting up a schedule for market)
- Pricing and sourcing materials, fabrics, and store furnishings
- Influencer marketing
- Pinterest Management
- Assisting with an online store (can include creating listings, customer service and
- Running and managing Facebook and Instagram ads
- Creating various marketing materials, like brochures, menus, signs, billboards, car
wraps, or store signs
- Press Releases & PR
Top Programs You Should Know When Working With Product Business’s + E-commerce
- Shopify, Weebly or Etsy
- Showit, Squarespace or WordPress
- Facebook Group management
- Newsletter programs like ConvertKit or FloDesk
- A project management tool like Asana or Trello
- WordPress and the Yoast SEO Plugin
- Lead generation software like Deadline Funnel, Leadpages, Click Funnels, Instapage